Funded by the National Security Education Program (NSEP) within the U.S. Department of Defense, the Russian Flagship Program at Indiana University offers a unique learning opportunity for ambitious students interested in pursuing global careers. This innovative language-learning program has been specifically designed to maximize student achievement.
Innovative Learning for Innovative Students
A Critical Language for Global Communication
Russian is considered a critical language for its strategic role in U.S. political, defense, and economic systems, but it is also a language of one of the richest cultural traditions and the lingua-franca of many countries and regions such as the Baltics and Central Asia. Whether you are aspiring to make a career in government, academia, business, or non-profit sectors, Russian may be just the element that will give you an edge over your competition.
Become a Global Professional
- Reach professional-level proficiency in Russian
- Pursue any of the 300 majors offered by Indiana University
- Develop career skills (e.g., grant proposal writing, event organizing, managing interest groups, public writing and speaking, and research)
- Study abroad for a full year in Kazakhstan and complete a professional internship at transnational corporations, local business
- Develop personal and professional networks
- Graduate with an impressive set of professional skills
A Bridge to Other Cultures
During the Capstone Year, you will live in a bilingual society with Russian and Kazakh used across a variety of public and private spheres. You will have a brief crash course in Kazakh at IU before your departure and you will also have a chance to continue learning Kazakh in Kazakhstan.